Today’s performance horses are challenged with a multitude of stressors including exercise, hauling, and stall confinement. Additionally, they are typically fed larger amounts of concentrates (i.e., commercial feeds and cereal grains) to support high energy requirements, which may lead to a suboptimal gastric environment, ultimately causing stomach discomfort. In fact, an estimated 90% of all performance horses experience gastric distress which can negatively affect performance, attitude, and overall health.
GS provides needed nutritional support for optimal gastric health. Its unique blend of ingredients support a healthy gastric pH while helping protect and strengthen the stomach lining.
- Unique mineral complex, which is a highly bioavailable, partial marine-derived calcium and magnesium, mineral complex contained in a unique honeycomb structure that helps buffer gastric acids, supporting a proper pH.
- Lecithin, derived from soybeans, lecithin is a naturally-occurring compound containing phospholipids which can interact with the mucosal epithelium of the stomach, helping strengthen the gastric lining at the cellular level.
- Chicory Root, contains pectin and inulin, which is a soluble, fermentable fiber. Together, these two fibers can form a gel inside the gastrointestinal tract which increases the viscosity of stomach contents, slowing rate of passage. This function may help protect the stomach lining from gastric acid.
- Alfalfa as the first ingredient; alfalfa has been shown to help support gastric lining health.
- Low non-starch carbohydrate (NSC*) – Does not contain molasses or cereal grains
- .Low starch and sugar content help support a healthy gastric environment.
- Ethanol-Soluble Carbohydrates (Sugar) 5.7%
- Provides an elevated level of zinc, which is an essential mineral needed for maintaining a healthy intestinal barrier and has been shown to be crucial for tissue healing.
- Provides an elevated level of vitamin E to protect body tissues from oxidative damage. In this way, vitamin E is vital for protection during health challenges, and may be especially important for performance horses as they are more prone to exercise-induced stomach damage.
- Pellet; 40-lb bag (81870AAA25) or 20-lb pail (81870AAA77) easy to top-dress on feed.